Modula & MiR Collaborate to deliver a Fully Automated Storage & Picking Solution
Lewiston, Maine, July 12, 2022 – Leading smart storage manufacturer Modula and Mobile Industrial Robots (MiR), market leader for autonomous mobile robots, recently unveiled a joint partial or fully automated solution for materials handling in warehouses, production and distribution centers.
The automated solution can store, pick and move items within designated areas in warehouses, production or distribution centers, with or without human intervention. Already presented in Europe, the automated system will be publicly showcased in the U.S. in September 2022.
Supporting various configurations, the solution can fully or partially automate material handling processes. The configurations include:
- Semi-automated picking of single items whereby a human operator picks single items from Modula’s storage unit and places them onto MiR’s mobile robot for autonomous transportation to designated areas such as consolidation centers.
- Semi-automated picking with picking carts whereby the operator can pick multiple items and place them onto a picking station. Once picking is completed, the MiR robot hooks onto the picking station and moves it to the designated area.
- Fully automated picking of single items whereby MiR robots are equipped with a robotic arm that picks single items from Modula’s storage unit and transports them easily and safely to the next picking zone or consolidation area.
- Full automated case picking whereby the MiR robots are equipped with a customized top module that lifts, picks, and places totes or bins directly from or to the VLM’s tray, facilitating picking and replenishment without human intervention.
- Full automation with pallets whereby MiR robots are specially equipped to pick large and heavy items off Modula’s Vertical Lift Module (VLM) model for pallets.
The solution enables considerable savings in terms of both time and space, improving productivity and enhancing intralogistics. According to Modula’s CEO Massimiliano Gigli, workplace safety and employee satisfaction are also one of the primary benefits of Modula and MiR’s joint solution.
“By taking over repetitive, physically straining, and otherwise dangerous tasks, this system significantly improves the working conditions in warehouses, factories, and distribution centers,” said Gigli. “Faced with labor shortages, businesses looking to automate storage, picking and material handling stand to gain more than just greater productivity by offering their employees more valuable responsibilities and a safer work environment.”
Designed for modular and quick implementation, Modula and MiR’s system is highly adaptable to warehouses and distribution centers of almost any size and layout. As such, it facilitates gradual automation, allowing businesses to transform their processes at their own pace.
The system can generate a return on investment (ROI) as early as 6 to 18 months from installation.
Having debuted publicly at this year’s LogiMAT Trade Show in Stuttgart, Germany, Modula will present the system to the U.S. public at the Las Vegas Groceryshop 2022 Trade Show in September. Businesses can contact Modula’s representatives for personalized consultation and estimates.
With over 30 years of experience, Modula is a leading manufacturer of automated storage solutions designed to optimize space and improve picking and storage operations for any industrial sector or environment.
About Mobile Industrial Robots:
Mobile Industrial Robots (MiR) develops and markets the industry’s most advanced line of collaborative and safe autonomous mobile robots (AMRs) that quickly, easily, and cost-effectively manage internal logistics, freeing employees for higher-value activities. For more information, visit www.mobile-industrial-robots.com